Most people are familiar with iTunes as it is not only a simple music player but a useful tool to manage music and videos in iOS devices. Whenever you plug your iPhone, iPod or iPad into computer with iTunes, iTunes will attempt to automatically scan and back up your device. Generally back up device is great in case of losing data accidently, but sometimes you may want to disable iPhone backup in iTunes due to the following reasons:
- You are hurry to access something in your device but the scanning takes too long and you cannot implement any operation.
- The storage space of your computer is limited and you don’t want to back up all the large data and documents in iTunes.
- You have already backed up the device and need to avoid erasing the former backup.
The most efficient method to disable iTunes Backup Process Permanently
There’s a little difference to turn off the iPhone backup in iTunes between Windows and Mac, here’s quick guide for different systems:
- Close the iTunes and hold the Windows Key, press «R» and you will see the Run dialog box
- Type the following command on your Windows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /set PrefInt Automatic Device Backups Disabled 1
- After that, press «Enter» to finish the process.
If you wish iTunes to back up your device again, just replace «1» with «0» in the above command.
"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt Automatic Device Backups Disabled 1
- Close iTunes and open the «Utilities» folder, launch «Terminal»
- Type the following command and then press «Enter», you’ll be successful in disabling iTunes auto backup iPhonedefaults write
com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true
If you want to enable backups, change the terminal command to:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool false